Celebrating Black History Month
In 1929 Holloway High School was built on the east side of South Highland Street. This site was for African American students in Rutherford County. Holloway High School closed in 1968 due to mandatory school desegregation. It was named in honor of local attorney, Mr. E. C. Holloway, who advocated for improving African American schools in the county. The last Rosenwald School constructed in the county, the school received donations from the African-American community, state and local appropriations, and Rosenwald Funds. The first principal, Mr. S. G. Green, served from 1929 to 1949. Mr. J. H. Stevens followed Green and served from 1949 to 1964. The last principal to serve at the original Holloway High for African Americans was Mr. Collier Woods, who served from 1964 to 1968.
More Photos and information about this historical site can be found at https://rutherfordtnhistory.org/holloway-high-school-black-1929-1968/ or by visiting THE HISTORICAL