The Jordan Hotel 

The Jordan Hotel was in operation for 50 years on East Main Street and was owned by several individuals during that time, including William Love and Ferdinand Washington Miles. The building also included many stores and professional offices which operated on the bottom floor of the building.
The structure was converted from a hotel to an apartment building around 1935 and operated as the Jordan Apartments until 1965, when it was razed during the summer of that year.- This House became a Hotel

Bell Jewelers

W.R. Bell began his jewelry business on the square in 1879 at 8 North Public Square. In 1929, he advertised having been on the square longer than any other business. It remained for almost 120 years.
Just as Bell Jewelers today, the original store carried an assortment of fine jewelry, watches, and gifts, but they also carried clocks, pianos and organs. W.R.’s son, Jim enhanced the focus on fine jewelry and gifts until the business sold after his death in 1949 to John Dixon and his wife, Cleon. They sold the store to Blake and Lee Tidwell in 1973.
Until moving to the new location on August 8, 1998, the Tidwells kept the store looking very much like it did in its heyday, with mahogany wall cabinets and leaded glass windows. When the elder Tidwells retired, the business was taken over by their son Greg and daughter, Lisa Halliburton.
Besides fine jewelry, china, and gifts, Bells Jewelry offers the option to create custom jewelry, designed in house by Bob Lanier. Each piece is one-of-a-kind, made to order.
“We are proud of our store’s rich history,” said Lisa Halliburton, “and that we are able to carry on the tradition of quality into a third century.”

National Preservation Month is celebrated in historic do... preservation, the heritage center, Rutherford county courthouse, museum, historic tours, Rutherford County Historical Society, Rutherfor...
From stable to stage: the history of 110 W. College Streetlivery station, Italianate Renaissance buildings, Post Office in Murfreesboro, preservation, historical downtown Murfreesboro, first lib...
James K. Polk HotelThe Polk Hotel was once located on East Main The Polk Hotel was torn down in February of 1977 The grand two-story lobby of the James K. ...
Goldstein’s Department StoreFor more than three quarters of a century, the name Goldstein wassynonymous with top quality and high fashion in ladies’ and men’sready-...

The structure on 22 N Public Square, Murfreesboro, TN 37130  was constructed in 1887 as a dry goods clothing store and furniture store. The rear of the complex was also later a battery and auto shop. In later years, the auto bays were bricked-in and the rear of the facility became a coin store. 

Then in 1924 it became a bank. Today its known as Whiskey Dix Saloon

Photos from the Rutherford County Archives

Haynes Hardware was opened in 1921 by C.N. Haynes. Tillman Haynes, Jr. joined the business after returning from the Second World War.
The original location was on the west side of the Public Square.  After 68 years, Haynes Hardware moved to Memorial Boulevard.